Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hardcore and Vechs

Yes, that's what I said, Hardcore. Last night I bit the bullet and gave Minecraft's Hardcore mode a try. Here's my initial observations:

Beds: No need to for a bed to reset your spawn point. You die, the world dies. Game over. So, sheep have no immediate use in the game other than to be annoying. Later in the game, once I'm well established, a bed could be very useful for controlling the weather or time of day.

Death: When I finally did die, it didn't seem as bad as if I was playing non-hardcore. It was like, "oh wow, I'm dead" vs, "damn! I need to get back quickly and get my stuff." Later in the game, I'm sure it'll be reversed: "OMG! I just lost everything!"

Chests: Stuff has very little meaning beyond the immediate future. I caught myself creating a chest to store important items in case I die. Unneeded. I die, the world dies, my chest goes *Poof!* Chests still do have a purpose of allowing me to keep my inventory nearly empty.

Items: Normally, I would reserve my quality items for important things and just use the common items for everyday tasks. Now, there's no point in conserving most of them.

Doors: Zombies can and do break doors. It doesn't affect me because i build sky platforms. I almost made the mistake of building a shack on the ground in which to run if I got caught off of my platform at night. Luckily, I remembered the zombie problem. Iron doors do hold back the zombies ^_^

Vechs Waking Up: I've started noticing that the map that Vechs is playing in his commentary is different from the one that I'm playing. The greatest difference is the last shortcut. On my map, it isn't really a shortcut, just a hole in the wall of Helix Cavern. In his map, it's a full railway to both the Monument and Intersection 2 >.< What's bad, is that even after adding these new improvements to his map, Vechs is complaining how difficult it is. So, I quietly closed down my map and pushed it aside. I have the latest map now, but I'll have to think about if I want to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment