Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bittersweet email

I received an invite tonight from Google saying that I can now join Google+:

"Hi Emily,

You asked us to let you know when you could sign up. Now that Google+ is in open beta, anyone 18 or older can join. So give it a try and tell us what you think."

D'oh! It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a GMail account and had tried to join once they went public a month or two ago. I was turned down because I was 14 and the minimum age so far is 18. I did find out that Google is working on opening up Google+ for 13 - 17 year olds once they get the proper protections in place and such. But to get an invite from them, with them knowing well enough that I wasn't old enough is just plain idiotic >.< Oh well, soon, Emily, soon ^_^

Out of curiosity, I ran one of my normal sized blog posts through a word counter. I'm averaging about 450 words per post. No wonder why 500 word essay assignments seem like nothing to me. I usually do close to that every day ^_^ True research papers are about 5000 words and some what more of a challenge, but that's good ^_^ The average, run of the mill research paper is about 1000 - 1500 words, that's about 4 to 6 pages. So what is all this word count leading up to? I'm trying to put into perspective how much 50000 words would be. That's the goal for "National Novel Writing Month." 50000 words by the end of November. Let's see, today is the 9th, so that leaves about 21 days. That's about 2500 words per day assuming nothing happens and assuming I start immediately o.o It also assumes that I take it seriously, which I don't seem to be doing. Otherwise I would have been panicking by now ^_^ One of the reasons that I started blogging was because Ms Lewis, my eighth grade English teacher, made it an assignment for the entire class. I was already keeping paper journals and such, be she wanted to be able to look at our journals anytime. Thus, they were to be online. As far as I know, almost everyone else abandoned their blogs after graduation. I now have two active ones that I cross post entries in. One is the original blog that I've been keeping open because an online friends used to read it. The second is for my friends in high school and such. Like I said, I keep the original one open for an online friend, but she's not around any more, so I've been thinking of locking it. If you're reading my high school blog, which is evident by the title, don't worry, I have no plans of shutting it down. I actually have a following on it beyond my offline friends ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment