Thursday, January 26, 2012

Another book

I finished another book today: "The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland--For a Little While: A Tor.Com Original" by Catherynne M. Valente. I'm not sure it would be a book if it was in paper form, probably more of a short story. But, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt ^_^ I think it's a continuation of another book by the same author: "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" and that one is definitely a book. I have the Kindle version in my Wistlist. Anyway, back to the book I just finished. It's about a girl named Mallow who merely wants to live her life in isolation, reading and tending to her magical home. One day, she gets a summons that all citizens of Fairyland must attend a great celebration. No exceptions. At first she was a bit dismayed but then she realized that there would be other types of magic there other than just what she's learned. The story follows her journey to the capital city of Fairyland and how she meets the Winds and their cats and in the end how she ends up defeating a monster and becoming the ruler of Fairyland.

Valente's style of writing is a cross between poetry and prose and at times the poem, "Jabberwocky" came to mind. The story was filled with metaphors: History was a prowling beast, never content with one place or person. A few times I lost track of what I had read and had to re-read it over. But that's because of my ADHD and once I was able to focus on the story, I fell in love with it ^_^ I'm seriously thinking of buying Valente's other Fairyland book ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment