I installed Linux Mint on one of my older laptops today. First thing I noticed was the Live CD/DVD wasn't friendly with my laptop. It would come up to the desktop and the mouse would work, but there was no icons or menus no matter where I clicked.What's worse is that there's no way to install it without them. I had to google a solution for my problem. Once I got it installed, I encountered the same problem again. And, again, I fixed it. Bad taste in my mouth. But I did get it up and running.
First impression: it's green. Mint green. I looked for themes to replace the minty freshness, none. I'll have to live with it until I can re-theme it. Other than that, it felt clean and fast even on my old laptop. The desktop interface was nice, sort of a cross between Ubuntu's Unity and a normal desktop. Unity looks like it was designed for tablets. A laptop or a pc is not a tablet. Don't make a crappy interface the default. Ubuntu 11.04 seems to have installed a hodge-podge of unfriendly programs and is almost impossible to customize. Also it's software manager seems to be nothing but ads for pay-for programs. It's like Ubuntu lost its way. Bleh! Mint seems to have picked up where Ubuntu got lost.
No comments:
Post a Comment